Selected Topics in Communications (Founding Technologies for LTE Advanced, 5G and beyond)The course will tentatively include the following topics:
- Waveforms and Frame structures (OFDM(A), SC-FDMA, LTE frames in UL/DL)
- Advanced antenna systems (MIMO, MIMO-OFDM, spatial multiplexing, TX/RX diversity, massive MIMO, beamforming)
- Interference management (OOBE, ACI, inter-cell interference)
- Scheduling and rate adaptation
- Multi-layer operations and HetNets
- Multi-point transmission and coordination (might be presented with mmWave)
- Random Access
- 5G wireless access (5G services, numerology, unified frame in 5G NR, hybrid waveform)
- Wireless Channel and Equalization Concept
- Secure Wireless Communications
Some background on communications systems and digital signal processing is needed to follow the course easily. EEL-6593 (Mobile and Personal Comm. Sys.) or EEL6534 (Digital communications, Comm. Sys.) would perfect preparations for this course. However, students who haven't taken this course should be able to follow the course with some communications and signal processing background.
Books & References
We will not be using a specific text book for the course. The related references will be provided by the instructor. The lecture slides will be provided to the students through Canvas.