Introduction to Communication Systems
- Introduction to communication systems
- Behavior of various modulation schemes in the noisy environments
- Sampling quantization and source coding
- Communication system design, trade off between power efficiency, bandwidth efficiency and system complexity
- Time domain and frequency domain analysis of communication systems
- Analog and digital communication systems with more emphasis on digital communications
- Basics of communication theory and applications
- Application of basic knowledge on probability, Fourier analysis and linear system to analyze communication systems and solve communication problems
- A practical approach will be taken along with Matlab experiments
Books & References
Title: Communication Systems Engineering (second Edition)
Authors: John G. Proakis and Masoud Salehi
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Also the following along with this book will be extremely useful and required. Contemporary Communications Systems using MATLAB/, John G. Proakis and Masoud Salehi, Brooks/Cole, 2000. (ISBN# 0-534-37173-6)
Other reference books:
- Simon S. Haykin, Communications Systems 4th edition (May 15, 2000) John Wiley & Sons
- R.E. Ziemer and W.H. Tranter, Principles of Communications: Systems, Modulation and Noise. 5th edition. John Wiley, 2002.
- B.P. Lathi, Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems. 3rd edition. Oxford University Press. 1998.
- Ferrel Stremler, Introduction to Communication Systems. 3rd edition. Addison Wesely. 1990.
- Simon Haykin, An Introduction to Analog and Digital Communications. Wiley. 1989.
- A. Bruce Carlson, Communication Systems, (Fourth Edition), McGraw-Hill, 2002. (ISBN# 0-07-011127-8)
- Course Outline -Outline of the course and the topics that are planned to be covered
- Syllabus -Instructor, goals, prerequisits, class location and time, office hours etc.
- Homework and Computer Assignments - See Blackboard for homeworks
- Announcements - See Blackboard for announcements
- Course Materials - Course materials are available in Blackboard
- Some useful wireless sites and references